Friday, January 22, 2010

gender-interest stereotypes

Whoah, my favourite topic. Gender issues. Yaayyy!
Ever had one of those conversations with other people where they ask you about your hobbies or interests where they go:



Jane Doe: Yeah, so what do you do in your free time?
Me: Anything i guess..
Jane Doe: Play any musical instrument?
Me: Um... Keyboard,but I suck at it. I've always wanted to play a bass though....
Jane Doe: *raised eyebrows* BASS huh??




Oh, how irksome it is to have someone questioning your interests just because it doesn't 'behoove' your gender to have so-and-so interest/hobbies. >.<
You'd think people would open their narrow mind once in a while and not look at you like you're an oddball... Ngeh.
I even hear THIS sometimes which I think is absolutely silly and preposterous:



"You listen to that? I thought that's a guy kinda music."



Seriously, what does that even mean?Music is supposed to be universal, so universal in fact that it overcomes language barriers all over the world but it could NOT transcends GENDER? Bah.



That's a load of bull if you ask me. Interests are interests.You don't have to adopt a hobby because it suits your sex. Really, I've always wanted to learn how to play bass. Not because it's 'cool', or because "That's how I roll". I simply like the sound of that sexy instrument. Because it sounds deeper and...sexaayyyy...




But of course lah there shouldn't be any "Only a boy should do that." "Only fags listen to classical music because Mozart was also a fag." "Oh, girls shouldn't listen to such violent songs because we are so,so delicate...." =p




Come on people!! I just wanna listen to some rock n roll and not just dance on my ballerina shoes~~~ cut me some slack will yaaaaa....







p/s: d'arcy wretzky of the smashing pumpkins. <3

No comments: